I want to pass this on to any and all who read this blog so that hopefully it will encourage you to be proactive and go get your skin checked by a dermatologist. I had a funky looking mole removed 2 weeks ago and found out last Monday that it is malignant melanoma. Luckily, mine was “very thin” and yesterday I went back into the dermatologist to have a larger area of tissue around the original mole excised and removed. They want to make sure they have a nice clean margin of tissue so that they can be confident that no melanoma cells are left behind. It’s been a bit of a stressful week thinking about this all and researching melanoma and worrying…but hopefully (and my doctor says he expects this) the biopsy of yesterday’s excision will come back clean. If that’s the case, all is good and no further “stuff” is necessary besides extra careful screening every 3 months of this original site and the rest of my body.
Here are a few facts about melanoma I wanted to share:
- it is the second most prevalent cancer (following breast cancer) in women between the ages of 25-29.
- the number of cases of melanoma has doubled in the last 30 years
- if caught early the survival rate is nearly 100%, but if it is left untreated it can spread and survival drops dramatically
- In 2007, at current rates, a person has a one in 33 chance of developing melanoma (both in situ and invasive). The risk of developing invasive melanoma is one in 63.
- check out these sites for more info www.melanoma.com http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/melanoma http://www.cancer.org and please pay attention to your skin! :
Okay, enough of that! On to something more fun and light-hearted. We hosted the boys’ 6th birthday party last Sunday…it was a Superhero party and everyone seemed to have a really good time. Here are the invites…
The invites cost me about $1.50 and most of that was for 2 stamps! The rest were supplies from my stash, some want ads from our newspaper, stamps, and some dollar store stickers.
Here are some photos from the event. I cannot tell you how LOUD these kids were! And all so into “being” superheroes. They all came in costume!
Connor, aka Batman, and Jack, aka Spiderman…impatiently waiting for the guests to arrive.
Daddy, the villain, being tied up with Spiderman’s web…one of the three games we played. They loved this!
Cate was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the crowd!
Luckily it was nice outside and they went out to chase each other around a bit. I got a few pics, but none of the whole gang together…they were too busy to pose as a group.
And finally, the birthday boys blowing out their candles. I still can’t believe they are SIX!
We were all pretty wiped out after the festivities…and looking forward to a nice, quiet princess party sometime. Have a great day!